Menu Close
Chelsea Into Last Eight After Intense Shootout Win Over Southampton

Chelsea and Southampton couldn’t be separated after 90 minutes at Stamford Bridge, so it came down to penalty kicks.

Just before halftime, Kai Havertz scored for the Blues, but Che Adams equalized shortly after the restart, putting home a ricocheted shot from Kyle Walker-Peters. With play alternating from end to end, both teams attempted to find a winner, but no one was successful.

Theo Walcott and Mason Mount both had penalties saved before Will Smallbone blasted his shot over the crossbar, deciding the game on penalties. Chelsea got the final penalty and a chance to win it, and Reece James slotted it home.

Continue reading to get all the thrilling Singapore news on your favorite sports and sporting events.

An intense win against Southampton

Chelsea advanced to the Carabao Cup second round for the second time in a row, defeating Southampton 4-3 in a penalty shoot-out at Stamford Bridge after a 1-1 draw.

With Theo Walcott and Will Smallbone missing for the Saints, Reece James provided the decisive kick, exactly as he did against Aston Villa in the previous round. Chelsea took the lead just mere seconds before halftime. That’s when Kai Havertz guided a header into the bottom corner.

Southampton, on the other hand, forced penalties when Che Adams scored on the rebound after Kyle Walker-Peters’ shot was stopped by Kepa Arrizabalaga’s legs. Calum Chambers finally scored his first goal in almost two years.

According to a Straits Times post, after coming off the bench to replace the injured Benjamin White 10 minutes into the second half, Chambers scored with his first touch of the game. And the former Leeds loanee ensured Arsenal’s spot in the quarter-finals by punishing Liam Cooper’s defensive header, which never had enough force to reach Illan Meslier.

Instead, Nketiah darted through, lifting the ball over the goalie and seeing his scuffed effort tuck just inside the post as Leeds players struggled to recover. Arsenal has now won six of their previous eight games in all competitions, and they haven’t lost since August.

After a goalless draw, it went to penalties at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium, where League One Sunderland defeated QPR 3-1 in a shoot-out. For the first time since 1988, Charlie Austin felt he had scored a late winner to send QPR into the last eight, making all the headlines of every SG news outlet on that day.

Austin’s anguish was compounded when his spot-kick was saved by Sunderland goalkeeper Lee Burge. But he wasn’t alone, as Ilias Chair and Yoann Barbet also failed to score from the spot as QPR lost for the fourth year in a row against League One opposition.

Reaching the Carabao Cup quarter-finals

Following the much news in Singapore, Chelsea required another penalty shootout to reach the Carabao Cup quarter-finals, as Southampton was defeated 4-3 on penalties at Stamford Bridge after a 1-1 draw in the 90 minutes.

Reece James provided the final kick after Theo Walcott and Will Smallbone had failed from 12 yards for the Saints in the previous round against Aston Villa. Kai Havertz put the hosts ahead early in the second half, but Che Adams equalized before the Champions League winners needed penalty kicks in west London.

Southampton’s two center-backs, Lyanco and Mohammed Salisu, were denied from Smallbone corners again in stoppage time, forcing penalties. AsiaOne also talked about this in detail in their recent sports article.

The match went to penalty kicks, and despite Forster’s amazing save to deny Mount, Walcott and Smallbone both missed from 12 yards, allowing Chelsea to progress to the last eight.